Models for Community Mobilization Prevention Initiatives
- Raise awareness of family violence and establish that it is unacceptable by using local media, participating in community events or speaking at local colleges.
- Develop network of leaders within the community.
- Connect community residents to services and outreach programs
- Make services and institutions accountable to community needs.
- Change social and community conditions that contribute to violence.
- Men stopping violence (MSV) against women (Georgia model).
More than just the family and friends of the victims of DV speak out against violence if you know or have heard about it happening to someone.
Ravi Sharma, MD
(Excerpts from Melanie Shepard, Ph.D, Dept. of Social Work, University of Minnesota, Duluth)